Trickster108

Friday, September 08, 2006

Random Notes

Friday, September 8, 2006

Last evening I listened to Texas Rep., 14th District Representative to Congress, Ron Paul address the House of Representatives. I remain in awe! His address was logical, cogent and went so far as to fully deny the legitimacy of this administration's stance, not only in Iraq, but with regard to Iran, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel...generally the entire Middle East. His premise is that negotiation is the only stategy that is sensible and that conflict is not only non productive, but actually counter productive. He berates this administration as well as others, for not pursuing diplomatic discourse with these so called "axis of evil" countries. He decries our actions in Iran, starting in 1953 with the collaborative U.S./Great Britain overthrow of a DEMOCRATICALLY elected government in Iran and it's replacement by the autocratic and despotic Shah.

He commented on our abortive attempts at democratization and how they are bound to fail. He mentioned our efforts to thwart negotiations between South and North Korea. He addressed the issue of our presence in Iraq ATTRACTING more subversives rather than preventing them from increasing their numbers. Similarly, he recognized that our support for this last Israeli attack on Lebanon served to enbolden Hezbollah.

I marveled at this man's logic. I was overjoyed at his truly objective analysis of our foreign policy under George Bush. Is he really from Texas? Is he really a Republican? I presume he comes from the old school...fiscal conservatism and non government interference. What ever happened to that Republican ideology?
It was a breath of fresh air...and...I am attempting to get a transcript.

I was driving to Greensboro yesterday and was struck by the fact that I STILL see many cars with their "Bush/Cheney '04" bumper stickers on their vehicles. Remember, this is the South...but...I could not help but to wonder at these folks. They reminded me of people who inadvertently wear "kick me" signs on their backs. Surely the realization must be dawning that this administration has sold them out. It spends money recklessly, it practices secrecy regularly and it has a track record of deceit. Perhaps someone should tell these sorry individuals about that "kick me" sign they are wearing.

As the midterm elections approach, I must remark on the proliferation of punditry. Do these people reproduce by simple cell division? Their numbers swell as do their proportionate analyses and prognostications. I can see that during these next 60 days we will be deluged by opinions, interpretations and explications. I hope we are all still functionally literate by the time this season has passed!!

trickster108

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home