Trickster108

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Rosh Hoshanah

Saturday September 23, 2006...Rosh Hoshnah...the Jewish New Year

Rosh Hoshanah, the Jewish New Year, began last night at sundown. Similarly to the New Year with which we are all accustomed, the Jewish New Year is a time for reflection on the past and a one for visualizing the future. Just like all measuring devices, it serves as a marker to evaluate just where we are today and where we are going tomorrow. It is a balancing mechanism, as well, in that it helps to place equal weight on all phases of our lives...the past , the present and the future.

I am not what might be called an "observant Jew". In fact, when I search within, I find that my spiritual beliefs do NOT resonate with much of the Old Testament or the God therein. The prevalence of violence, jealousy and retribution are alien to my personal understanding of the Great Spirit. I DO understand the connotation of Rudolf Otto's deity which diplays the trait of "mysterium tremendum"...a GOD who is wholly "other", a God which inspires awe, in the true sense of the word. Somehow, I can intuitively navigate around this seeming paradox by looking within and realizing that the life spirit both resides within each of us and is simultaneously wholly ineffable and unknowable. This coincidence of opposites, however, does not, or cannot, accomodate...at least to my way of thinking...the rage of the God of the Old Testament.

I am a Jew by birth, however, and there are customs and traditions that DO resonate. Modern Judaism is, for the most part, focused on life here on earth and not on any messianic concept of eschatology. We do good works for their own sake and not to achieve some kind of reward upon physical dissolution. This is highly appealing to me. Jewish mysticism is equally attractive to me in that it explicates a doctrine of emanations which seems to me to cogent explanation to how life and existence developed. Again, I can look inside and feel the truth of such a doctrine. A third factor that makes me appreciate my birth faith is the acceptance by modern Judaism of all other religions and its refusal to adopt myopic and elitist attitudes that demand this way to be the only way.

I can integrate all these concepts into the introspective and personal examinationn of my life...past, present, and future. The past always serves as a reminder and life's lessons are guideposts that help me to understand what I have done that was good and beneficial to all life forms and what things I may have done that were not so helpful. We hope that we can benefit from thses lesssons. The future is the bearer of dreams. None of us can live without dreams and aspirations. Of course, it is better to mold one's dreams around others than to turn them into narcissistic desires for self gratification. Life is always better when shared. The present is, however, where we live from moment to moment...and...lives devoid of this kind of presence become empty vessels, devoid of meaning. To live in the present implies a certain amount of focus and attention and substance. The present is the truest measure of accomplishment, happiness and self worth.

So...on this Jewish New Year which begins the 10 days representing the holiest time in the life of a Jew...I take a moment to reflect, to appreciate and to dream.

trickster108

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home