Trickster108

Friday, May 12, 2006

Dreams

Friday, May 12, 2006

Each day I have no idea what kind of entry I will make in this BLOG... I wait until I am actually about to write and hope that some kind of idea or inspiration will manifest itself.

I had been writing in my journal about dreams...and...decided that would be an interesting topic on which to spend a few words.

My dream recall had never been that great...but...for certain reasons I will not go into here, over the past 12 months, my dream recall has increased substantially. I keep a dream journal next to my bed...and...if a dream awakens me and I am not to fuzzy or lazy, I will record much of what has transpired. Usually, however, I wait until the morning and record whatever I can recall of the previous night's dreams.

I have had dreams that range the entire gamut of possibilities...revalatory, idyllic, antagonistic...dreams that are clear as a bell, and ones that are utterly confusing and ambivalent...dreams of good versus evil, dreams of good AND evil...

I am sure that I have only scratched the surface because dreams have the potential and capability to come in all imaginable shapes, forms and varieties. This is because they come from a place where our recourse to reason is not accessible...this place is, as it were, completely UNREASONABLE. Anything can happen in the dream world and it often does. Ideas and concepts can morph, they can create strange and unusual combinations and permutations. Events that actually transpired can attach themselves to events that are completley fantastical.

Because all these strange and wonderful and, at times, frightening and awesome, events transpire in the dream state, they are fertile ground for delving into the unconscious. Sometimes, dreams can even be a gateway to the cosmic unconscious. In those cases, precognition and other alleged "psi" phenomena can make themselves manifest. Some dreamers have markedly prophetic dreams.

The degree to which we are able to recall and decipher our dreams may,perhaps, be coincident with the degree to which we are able to gain access to those realms that lie behold the threshold of consiousness. There are those that would assert that the degree to which we can accomplish this may mark the degree to which we complete what Jung calls the process of individuation. This process is the "becoming whole" that many mystics aspire to and that many have experienced in drug induced states. We all have the ability to open these doors without drugs. However, sometimes the use of specific drugs teaches us what the landscape in that world looks like and how we can turn the key to open the door. Drugs can become counter-productive at some point...their use is specifically as a teacher and if they become a crutch, the ability to open those doors will completely backfire and they can forever remain closed. Drugs must be used circumspectfully...

One last dream characterisitic I would like to mention is what is referred to as "lucid" dreaming. those that have the ability ( I am not one of them...yet...) to achieve this can actually be cognizant, on some level, that they are dreaming, that they are IN the dream and, in some cases, they can affect the nature of the dream or the direction in which it goes. Suffice it to say that this necessitates a certain degree of mastery over oneself, both one's conscious self and one's unconscious self. It is the mark of an "adept"

trickster108

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home